Friday, December 19, 2008

Arts and Crafts for Nativity Wall Hangings

Show and Tell
For today’s Show and Tell I will share some fabric arts and crafts items from the nativity collection.


A. Batik
Batik is a technique used on fabric in a wax-resist process. The fabric is coated in wax according to the pattern desired. Dye is applied and seeps through the fabric not penetrated by the applied wax. Batik is done in Indonesia, India, West Africa, Iran, Malaysia, Philippines, among other countries.
Here is an example of batik from India





This piece is from Tanzania, Africa


B. Applique and Quilting
The stitcher choose to frame this appliqued piece in an embroidery hoop. It shows Mary Joseph and Baby Jesus in a simple folk design. The fabrics are small-scale country prints.


C. Mola
In the islands off the coast of Panama the San Blas women make a type of reverse applique, called molas.

D. Mixed Media
Here the crafter used twigs, wood, wire, twine and cotton fabrics.


The simply designed little figures of Joseph, Baby Jesus and Mary
Above them is a wooden star painted yellow
A piece of twine is used for hanging

For more Show and Tell Friday go to Kelli’s house at There is No Place Like Home.





16 comments:

  1. How unique that is. Very pretty. Thanks for sharing and Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, how I love, love, love your collection! Thanks for sharing. Please come visit me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ~Beautiful~

    Thanks for sharing.
    Hope all is well with you and yours.

    ~Take Care, Melissa :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very unique collection. I really like the fabric one:)

    Merry Christmas!

    Linda C

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very interesting post. I had heard of Batik but didn't really know what it was. Thanks for the explanation.
    Christmas hugs,
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  6. WHAT A WONDERFUL POST.I HAD NO IDEA ABOUT MOST OF THIS.ARE THEY YOURS?DID YOU FIND THEM ON THE NET?DID YOU DO ANY OF THEM?I HAVE A MILLION QUESTIONS,THIS IS AWESOME.BEAUTIFUL,JUST BEAUTIFUL...ANN

    ReplyDelete
  7. I especially love the appliquéd one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the batik and the African piece. What great colors! Great post. Thanks for sharing.

    You are always welcome at The Shadow of the Cross. Feel free to visit anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are just wonderful, Carrie! I enjoyed reading this post so much!

    xo,

    Sheila... whose nativity set got here safe and sound... posting about it tomorrow! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Carrie, I've decided to save your set to post on Christmas itself! I think that's the perfect time to share it! :-) Hope that's okay with you.

    Love,

    Sheila :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. The batik is very beautiful. I could not make up my mind as to what I like best on this posting. The mixed media creation is quite clever. It's all enjoyable to look at. Noelle

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are all so gorgeous... and I LOVE the sky in the African one!

    Have a wonderful Christmas.. :) (I know - I told you that once today...lol)

    ReplyDelete
  13. After Christmas, or rather in January, I plan to spend a lot of time enjoying your gallery! We are going on a trip for a week or so near New Year's.

    Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your collection, envious even. Your Nativity from Germany is probably paper mache not porcelain...are the pieces heavy?

    ReplyDelete